New this year! The Downtown Lynchburg Adopt-a-Block Program engages local citizens in helping to keep the downtown district clean and beautiful. We invite community groups, businesses, and individuals to take pride in their downtown, and to join us in the effort to reduce litter, combat graffiti, tackle weeds, and create a more welcoming downtown environment.
Downtown Lynchburg is your downtown. Whether you live downtown, work downtown, or simply want to get involved in the beautification of your community, your participation is welcome. Together, we can do more.
HOW IT WORKS
Each block in Downtown Lynchburg will be available for adoption. The size and shape of a block is up to you. A block is defined as one-street segment between two intersections (i.e. Main Street from 6th to 7th).
You can choose to adopt as many segments as you can maintain. The area to be maintained includes the street, sidewalks on both sides of the street, intersections, and any private property in the block that has agreed to be maintained by the Adopt-a-Block program.
Keep the block free of litter, debris, and weeds on an ongoing basis. Block adopters will spend an estimated 3-4 hours/month cleaning up. This can come in the form of a couple minutes per day, a once-a-week pickup, or a monthly event. Adopters are required to make a one-year commitment.
Identify and catalogue graffiti, work with DLA to establish plan for removal.
As the block captain, you will gather the people needed to help you maintain your block.
Communicate with businesses and residents on the block in an effort to secure their involvement in keeping their storefronts clean. DLA will also assist in this effort when needed.
Inform the City of Lynchburg when issues arise or maintenance is needed (mulching, down power lines, overflowing trash cans, etc).
- Track clean-up efforts with a quick and easy online form.
DOWNTOWN LYNCHBURG ASSOCIATION PROVIDES:
- A cleanup kit that includes a broom, trash bags, gloves, dustpan, and litter-grabber.
- Gloves and trash bags throughout the year as needed.
- Informational door-hangers and/or handouts for your block, so you can share with your neighbors what you are doing to improve their block and how they can help.
View the map of the project area below!
- Click on each pink segment to see who has adopted each block. If you are interested in volunteering for that area, simply contact that Block Captain.
- All other (non-pink) block segments are still available for adoption.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
- The opportunity to get involved in your community
- Invitation to the annual volunteer appreciatiion event
- <Optional> Street medallion denoting you or your company/organization's service - $50
Interested in adopting a block? Great! Here is how you can get started:
- Identify the block you want to adopt in the map above.
- Complete the application below.
- Complete the Adopt-a-Block agreement (sent via email after application is received).
- Attend one of three Adopt-a-Block orientations to get your training and pick up your materials.
In order to adopt a block, you must attend one of the following orientations to receive training and pick up your materials. If for some reason you or a representative from your group are unable to attend, you can schedule a private training with DLA staff.
- Monday, July 27, 12pm
- Tuesday, July 28, 9am
All orientations will take place at the Downtown Lynchburg Association offices, 901 Church St.
BLOCK CAPTAIN TOOLS
Questions? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.